Translate

Wednesday, June 01, 2022

Opinions

Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions. [Proverbs 18.2]

This is a serious indictment.

When I think of all the posts made here in this blog since 2006 - and even my 'disclaimer' in its descriptive remarks, "My observations here are simply what they are - correct or incorrect - and often reflect my current circumstances," I wonder if I've only been a fool airing my own opinions.

Many days I experienced circumstances in my life that lined up with what I felt God was saying to me on that particular day through that day's assigned Bible reading. Many other days, what I wrote turned out to be very similar, if not almost exact, to what others later shared God was saying to them also at that time. In some instances on a Sunday morning, what I wrote seems to have coincided hand-in-hand with what was preached at church.

"Do I genuinely have an interest in understanding?" or, "Do I just need this platform to spout my opinions basically unchecked?" are good questions to ask.

Father, my opinions mean nothing. I realize that Jesus never made opinions a matter of obedience to Kingdom work but instead detailed actions that did so. I do believe I have grown over the years forcing myself daily to respond here in writing to You, but I also recognize the potential that I have done little more than waste time and energy airing my own opinions. This is especially poignant when I compare the fruit of my life to the amount of energy spent writing here - there seems to be a staggering imbalance. I have written over and again about faith and power while my life reflects nothing of either. Forgive me for this hypocrisy. Help me to be focused on understanding more than voicing my opinions. I think time is short.

No comments: