Saturday, July 06, 2019

God Alone

This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him. For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. [Psalm 91.2-3]

It is appalling how many people vehemently claim the promises of God but take no responsibility whatsoever to meet any criteria declared to accompany said promises!

Here we go: This I declare about the LORD...

No explanation is necessary here except to say, "I will speak God's promises." There is no shortage of folks who speak God's promises.

He alone is my refuge... Oh, how blessed we are to have God as a refuge! However, there is a very problematic word in this phrase that most simply ignore, alone. For most, God is "a" refuge and not, alone, "the" refuge." Does this matter? I would say the answer is found throughout the Old Testament in accounts of Israel's diluted devotion to God. God was and is never pleased with divided devotion. He wants no part of "a portion" of our devotion. He wants it all. The context of this passage in Psalm 91 has to do with, at least in significant part, health ("...and protect you from deadly disease").

Can we really say "God is my refuge alone" and feel no hypocrisy at all when we go to the doctor or take medicine? Is that not like saying "I am worshiping God alone, but I am just doing it through this golden calf idol!" Let's just get real with the Bible and quit all our self-explanation of why we 'think' we are okay in any and everything we do - as long as we roll our eyes back in our heads and say, "Oh, I am trusting God..."

Yeah, I know, this is tough. But how do we ever expect to glorify God if we do not actually glorify Him? Nothing but faith pleases God.

So, should we take this line of thinking into our provision too and say, "I do not need to work because God alone is my source!" Good question!

The difference, I would say, is that God is very specific in the Bible about His intent to bless our work in order to provide for us. And, although there are references to medicine in the Bible, it is more often associated with a lack of faith than it is a commission from God (ref. Asa, the serpent on a rod eventually destroyed...).

Furthermore, Deuteronomy 28 discusses that an obedient life will be blessed in its work. In contrast, sickness and disease are documented in the same chapter to be resultant to disobedience. Question: Is medicine really the cure for a sin of disobedience? (My inclination is to answer, "no.")

What what will it be? God is a refuge, or, God alone is my refuge?

Father, please let anyone who reads this know that I am as uncomfortable with my statements here as they probably are. I feel very much indicted by my rantings here... I confess my divided allegiance to You, Father. I confess that I have professed 'faith' but still help on to my 'bag of goodies.' I have been divided in my loyalty. Please teach me what it is to trust in You alone.

No comments: