But when Ahab heard this message, he tore his clothing, dressed in burlap, and fasted. He even slept in burlap and went about in deep mourning. Then another message from the LORD came to Elijah: “Do you see how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has done this, I will not do what I promised during his lifetime. It will happen to his sons; I will destroy his dynasty.” [1 Kings 21.27-29]
Ahab was foul human being. Furthermore, he was married to a foul woman, Jezebel. The Bible is clear that "No one else so completely sold himself to what was evil in the Lord’s sight as Ahab did under the influence of his wife Jezebel" (Verse 25).
And yet, Ahab repented. And God relented (at least partially) of the judgment upon Ahab.
What does this say to us?
It says that God is merciful and willing to forgive.
It says that repentance is powerful enough to convince God to change His plans.
What did Ahab's repentance look like? He tore his clothing, dressed in burlap, and fasted. Furthermore he slept in burlap and went about in deep mourning.
It seems to me that fasting is often associated with repentance...
Father, I am grateful that You are faithful and true - willing to heal and forgive always. Teach me to repent - I am certain I do not know how.
No comments:
Post a Comment