“I have made no trouble for Israel,” Elijah replied. “You and your family are the troublemakers, for you have refused to obey the commands of the LORD and have worshiped the images of Baal instead. [1 Kings 18.18]
What was Israel's "trouble?" It was that they had had no rain for three years! They were in a severe drought and the future was looking bleak.
The drought came because Elijah prophesied it would not rain.
Now Elijah, who was from Tishbe in Gilead, told King Ahab, “As surely as the LORD, the God of Israel, lives—the God I serve—there will be no dew or rain during the next few years until I give the word!” [1 Kings 17.1]
Ahab held Elijah responsible for the lack of rain. Ahab convinced himself that Elijah was the troublemaker for himself and Israel.
As we well know today, the weather is just the weather, right? Actually, that is not what we believe. Most people today actually believe the weather is controlled by man who has the ability to create trouble by producing greenhouse gasses that affect the weather and the climate negatively.
Aren't we smart?
We are only as smart as Ahab! We are only as smart as sinful and wicked Ahab if we genuinely believe the weather is controlled by anyone but God!
But Elijah straightened Ahab out by making clear that it was he and his family (family as in, Jezebel??) were to blame for the drought. How so? By disobeying God. By worshiping Baal instead.
But instead of repenting, a combined total of 850 false prophets died. These false prophets truly believed (however, as the story reveals, in error) they could call fire from heaven to prove their beliefs. But they were wrong - and they died in their error.
Elijah was certainly in minority in his belief. But he was right.
Where do we go with this story? Suffice it to say, God will prove He is God. But, I dare say, most of us don't really believe it. We instead believe the weather forecast. I mean, it IS science, right?
The recent adverse weather and flooding in my area of the world (eastern Oklahoma) has evoked no response of repentance (that I know of). It has indeed sparked the human compassion element. It has certainly "made the news." Much ado is being made to relieve the effects of the tragedy - some even attribute the event to God - but I have heard no one declare the need to repent.
The loss will continue as long as we refuse to repent.
Oh it is complicated, but the longer mankind refuses to repent before God Almighty, the worse it will get. And, the worse it gets, the more blame will be attributed to the ways and means of men - but not for wickedness. Measures will be taken to "save the planet" but those measures will be entirely void of repentance to God. The planet will not be saved by human means.
I am no prophet, but I can read the Bible. I trust the Bible - it has never lied to me. It very plainly explains how the human condition of sin affects man and the natural elements around us. Science is great, but it is only science - I mean - there was once a time in history when science believed the earth was flat! If it has 'evolved' since then, how much more does it have to evolve going forward?? How can anyone trust there is nothing more to be learned? It cannot be done. But the Bible has only proven to be true.
Call me a fool, but don't stand too close to that wet pile of wood...
Father, I am convinced that our present turmoil in the earth and in my area are indicators of our need to repent. Forgive me, Father, for becoming so "worldly" to believe incomplete (at best) science over Your Word. Forgive me for pride and arrogance - forgive me for serving myself and not others. Forgive me for trying to modify the Bible to make myself look okay. Forgive me otherwise for simply ignoring the Bible and following 'my own heart.' Forgive me for ever thinking there is anything good in me besides Your Spirit. Forgive me for ever trusting my heart - that You have deemed deceptive and desperately wicked.
No comments:
Post a Comment