Fear of the LORD is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment. Wisdom will multiply your days and add years to your life. If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit. If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer. [Proverbs 9.10-12]
Fear of the LORD. I have heard so many times people say, this doesn't mean 'be afraid' of God. But you know what? I think it does.
When I was young, my dad exercised corporal punishment - yes, he spanked me. He had a little thin belt rolled up by his nightstand for just that purpose ...and it was well-used.
I was the second of three sons - three boys growing up in the country that were more than capable of breaking nearly every rule laid out for us. Oh, to be sure, we had 'fun' - much of the time engaged in the very things our parents had forbidden. And, it wasn't that we were evil per se, but quite disobedient at times. We didn't set out to disobey, but by the end of many days we would have successfully accomplished that anyway.
Mom would warn us - sometimes repeatedly, but, when she said, "I am telling your dad..." we knew what that meant, and we FEARED!
No, we did not fear for our lives, but we certainly feared for our back sides! It was going to hurt and hurt plenty. It was going to hurt because we had 'scorned wisdom' (the wisdom let's say to not throw mud on the house) and when all was said and done, we got what we deserved.
Of course I respected my dad. But, let me tell you, I feared his punishment. His punishment hurt! And, as just one of three boys in the house, I personally never felt I got punished beyond my transgression. I always felt my dad's word - his promise if you will - that if we acted up he would punish us, was fair and true. For the record, my dad never said we would die for our misadventures.
But, you know what? God said, "If you sin, you will die."
So, if I feared a simple whipping from my dad, how much more should I FEAR death as penalty for my sin against God? Jesus said, “Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell." [Matthew 10.28]
That is serious, right? Yes, it is. But we must understand it and understand it well! God is no 'sugar daddy - genie in a bottle.' He is GOD and there is no other. He is JUST and PERFECT and by His very nature consumes sin by His Holiness.
Oh, be sure, it is much more serious to disobey God than just 'throwing mud on the house.'
And yet, in all His fearsome, deadly, response to sin, God does not want us, His creation, to die.
Adam and Eve underestimated the fearsome-ness of God and sinned at the encouragement of Satan. Mankind has experienced death, loss and destruction ever since.
But God would not be tricked by Satan's schemes like Adam and Eve were! He had a foolproof plan already in place! It was a different kind of system of obedience - the obedience of faith - that He would implement with the help of His Son Jesus. It was a system that allowed God to remain perfectly holy and righteous toward His created man, while still fulfilling the death penalty for man's sin ...upon Jesus. And, all who believe on (have faith in) Jesus may enjoy fellowship with God with the very faith God put in them from the beginning.
But faith is not without responsibility! There is indeed an 'obedience' to faith. And, disobedience to faith is still disobedience, and, the punishment is the same from God - death and eternal separation from Him.
So, without the obedience of faith, there is only fear. And, it is real fear, not just 'respect.' Wisdom's teachings found in the Proverbs, are good. Until one understands what it is to "fear God," there will be no understanding of the amazing grace shown by Him in giving His only Son to die in our place. Furthermore, that we would be provided in advance, the faith to believe all this, is simply brilliant - something orchestrated only by the One capable of such brilliance, Yahweh, God Almighty!
Father, help me to understand more fully every day what it is to fear You. And, help me to obey in faith - faith, that is the only thing that pleases You!
No comments:
Post a Comment