Thursday, May 30, 2019

Wealth

A gracious woman gains respect, but ruthless men gain only wealth. [Proverbs 11.16]

Ruthless men gain ONLY wealth.

Now, there's a phrase you don't hear often: gain only wealth.

In today's society, we have become so accustomed to wealth solving all problems that we have effectively made wealth our god.

Yes, I really said that. And yes, it is really true.

However, I will pretend for only a moment that I am the only one on earth who thinks about money.

It is wrong that I consider money over people. It is not in the Spirit of Christ that I preserve 'my own' while letting the needs of others go unmet (besides, I have to take care of myself in order to take care of others, right?).

If Jesus had adopted and demonstrated that attitude, we'd all be in hell.

Wealth does not make me happy, so why do I pursue it with such passion? For a nice house? For a nice car? So I can have all the conveniences the television and Fifth Avenue say I need (and deserve)?

I am weary of chasing wealth. I will die one day and then what will be thought of me? Will it be that I loved people and put them above all else in my life? Or, will it be that I worked hard and died financially unfulfilled?

Wealth does not satisfy.

Father, help me today to remember that wealth is really meaningless. It is enough to eat and be clothed and have a place to sleep. I don't want to be a ruthless man pursuing only wealth.

No comments: