Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Where Are You Going?

The prudent understand where they are going, but fools deceive themselves. [Proverbs 14.8]

This proverb could be seen as an indictment to many believers. I know a lot of Christians, including myself, who are really clueless as to where they are going.

Let me clarify my statement above to say that I have some idea of where I am going (as do many people). However, the proverb above uses the word "understand" and that carries a much more definitive connotation than "some idea."

It would seem we would do well to seek to "understand" where we are going! It would make sense that we have some direction in life to follow methodically and accurately.

I know my own reservation comes because I tend to "test the waters" before jumping in. While this cliche sounds good, it may reveal a lack of understanding - and therefore a lack of confidence. If we lack confidence, we find ourselves "testing the water" to get the input of circumstances rather than being "on mission" to accomplish our goal (where we are going) regardless of circumstances.

Of course, there is some balance of wisdom to be exercised in this process, but one must still consider the mission of Christ... If Jesus had "tested the waters" of the Cross, what would that have accomplished? He knew that Cross stood between Him and where He was going! So, He embraced it and ultimately overcame it! It was no secret that Jesus knew where He was going and even told His disciples about it before it happened.

Father, help us to understand where we are going so that we might go there with confidence and purpose!

No comments: