Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Ignorant Church

“My people are foolish and do not know me,” says the Lord. “They are stupid children who have no understanding. They are clever enough at doing wrong, but they have no idea how to do right!” [Jeremiah 4.22]

Can these words be spoken about the LORD's people today?

I am afraid these words are as applicable today as they were when Jeremiah first penned them.

I think of myriads of people who attend church and participate in church functions yet still have no dynamic relationship with God themselves. I think of people who are satisfied to hear what a preacher thinks about the Bible, but spend no time themselves in the Bible to see what God says to them! I think of those who reap the benefits of church membership while contributing nothing for the benefit of others. I think about how the divorce rate is as high in the church as it is outside the church (if not higher). I think of church leadership making news headlines in a negative way. I think of myself being content in this situation...

Father, Jeremiah's words apply to ME! Please forgive me and help me to be a positive influence among Your people in knowing You and making You known!

No comments: