The Lord spoke to Manasseh and his people, but they ignored all his warnings. So the Lord sent the commanders of the Assyrian armies, and they took Manasseh prisoner. They put a ring through his nose, bound him in bronze chains, and led him away to Babylon. But while in deep distress, Manasseh sought the Lord his God and sincerely humbled himself before the God of his ancestors. And when he prayed, the Lord listened to him and was moved by his request. So the Lord brought Manasseh back to Jerusalem and to his kingdom. Then Manasseh finally realized that the Lord alone is God! [2 Chronicles 33.10-13]
I just like this story. Justice, repentance and redemption all are part of this story. Manasseh's story should give hope to anyone who has been unrighteous that God is merciful and forgiving.
I believe the key ingredient in Manasseh's repentance was that he "sincerely humbled himself..." I often wonder if we know much about sincere humility today. It seems far to easy to know the motions of repentance without actually repenting. I fear in our religious systems we have institutionalized the processes of repentance without retaining the humility of it. Herein lies the difference in true devotion to God and religion.
If we truly and sincerely repent, God will respond.
Father, help me to understand the necessity of sincere humility. Please help me to avoid religion that goes through the motions of repentance without truly and humbly repenting.
No comments:
Post a Comment