Translate

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What's In A Word?

“So this is what the Sovereign Lord says: As surely as I live, I will punish him for breaking my covenant and disregarding the solemn oath he made in my name. [Ezekiel 17.19]

I believe Ezekiel, speaking on behalf of the Lord, was referring to Zedekiah here.  Interestingly enough, the solemn oath mentioned here would seem to be an oath Zedekiah made with Nebuchadnezzar in the Lord's name.  Because Zedekiah broke that oath with Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, an oath made in the name of the Lord, Zedekiah would suffer for it.

In our modern culture, we simply do not comprehend the power of an oath - it is beyond our cultural understanding.  What's more, it is beyond our spiritual understanding!  We don't even believe what we say, let alone what God says!

As I read the Old Testament over and over, I find myself beginning to understand that our modern culture is devoid of spoken integrity.  We pretty much will say anything with no consideration of our ability to make good on what is said.  Consequently, I believe we read the Bible in much the same way - we have no expectation of God to make good on what He has said.  To be clear, the problem is not God in this scenario, but us.

Father, I can see how we have evolved into a Godless, faithless society.  And, I am speaking of the Church here, not the world!  Forgive us for allowing so much and so many impurities to infiltrate our lives and existence that we place no more faith in ourselves than we do in You!  I am not sure what the solution to this is, but Lord, we need You to implement that solution!  Help!

No comments: