Translate

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Everyone Has Their Limit

Then some of the leaders of Israel visited me, and while they were sitting with me, this message came to me from the Lord: “Son of man, these leaders have set up idols in their hearts.  They have embraced things that will make them fall into sin.  Why should I listen to their requests?  Tell them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: The people of Israel have set up idols in their hearts and fallen into sin, and then they go to a prophet asking for a message.  So I, the Lord, will give them the kind of answer their great idolatry deserves.  I will do this to capture the minds and hearts of all my people who have turned from me to worship their detestable idols.’ [Ezekiel 14.1-5]

The leaders and the people had embraced idols that, in turn, made them fall into sin.  Then, they requested a message from the Lord.  The Lord's message was delivered and it addressed their idolatry accordingly.  That message offered little in the way of hope.  In fact, those who had embraced idols were promised they would be made an example of without pity.

Relationships are delicate.  Everyone has their limit.  As human beings (and not God) we have witnessed a wide range of emotions in our relationships.  Many have also witnessed what it is like when all the talk, arguing, and fussing stop and a "change of direction" comes into play.  We know this relational change of direction as estrangement, or, as in the case of marriage, as separation or divorce.  Communication stops for the most part as the relationship ceases to function as such, and then the cold hard facts of a broken relationship begin to set in.  The 'give and take' of the relationship no longer applies.  Where there were 'ways' to deal with issues before, now there are only 'walls.'

It is a sad situation when a relationship reaches this point.

Father, I don't want to experience broken relationship with You - ever!  Help me to submit to You in every detail of my life and trust You with the outcome of every situation.  I want to please You.

No comments: