Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I Return To Grace

I return to grace.

Just when I start to ease off the ‘grace message’ it seems I encounter a fresh definition of God’s character in His Word – and that ALWAYS brings me back to grace.

The Lamentations today once again resound with agony resultant to sin. There is no denying that the author is fully aware of the punishment Israel is receiving due to unfaithfulness to the Lord. I find myself comparing my own life and situation to Israel’s. I find myself agonizing with the same bitterness, but then…

I return to grace.

Hebrews 2.1: “So we must listen carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it.” As long as the Christian message has been around, man has always had to safeguard against returning to the Law (drifting away from grace). It doesn’t appear here the author of Hebrews is talking about people drifting away to ungodliness or sin. But what he is speaking of is the tendency of well-meaning people to revert to ‘works’ for their salvation rather than solely relying on the work of Jesus Christ on the cross. It is Jesus who makes us holy and complete before God.

In Psalm 103 David appears to have some understanding of this ‘grace’ long before Jesus’ advent. I love Psalm 103. When I read it… I return to grace.

Thank You God for saving me. Undeserving is the only quality I can seem to muster with any consistency in my life. Frustration is the result of all my efforts. I return to Jesus. I return to grace.

No comments: