You were in Eden, the garden of God. [Ezekiel 28.13a]
For as long as I can remember, I have concluded somehow that Ezekiel 28 is all about Satan. Today, however, I am having different thoughts...
Ezekiel 28 is "bigger" than Satan. While it describes Satan quite well, it actually goes much further. Ezekiel 28 describes the spirit of pride. In this fact, Ezekiel 28 describes everything that God hates whether it is Satan, a nation, a city, or a single person.
While the subject passage above has been heralded as proof that Ezekiel 28 was about Satan, it must be understood that Adam and Eve were also in the garden of Eden! It was pride that Satan appealed to in Adam and Eve that led to their idolatry of "self" - their pride - their sin.
Every sin of pride for all eternity was in Eden, the garden of God: Satan's pride, Adam's and Eve's pride, and yes, our pride.
Pride is never far removed from "the finer things." Where wealth and commerce exist, pride lurks nearby. But, there is an important caveat... wealth and commerce are very much blessings from God:
Your clothing was adorned with every precious stone—red carnelian, pale-green peridot, white moonstone, blue-green beryl, onyx, green jasper, blue lapis lazuli, turquoise, and emerald—all beautifully crafted for you and set in the finest gold. They were given to you on the day you were created. I ordained and anointed you as the mighty angelic guardian. You had access to the holy mountain of God and walked among the stones of fire. [Ezekiel 28.13b-14]
Wealth and commerce are not bad. However, when pride becomes involved, wealth and commerce lead to materialism. The strange thing about materialism is that is does not require wealth and commerce to survive. Just the thought of wealth and commerce can lead a person to materialism without a cent to show for it. In fact, materialism and the pride associated with it are quite often found profoundly in the poorest of people. Yes, the spirit of pride existed in Eden, the garden of God and it exists today!
Materialism is idolatry. Materialism proudly denies God's ownership and lordship over everything taking those positions for itself. In pride, man makes for himself remedies - idols - to do for himself what God said He would do for man. However, man's remedies for himself do not hold him accountable to God - thus, man 'worships' these idols and not God. There is a reason the 2nd Commandment follows the 1st Commandment!
For all the years I felt like Ezekiel 28 seemed out of place in the Bible, now, I see just how appropriately placed it is! The spirit of pride is at the center of idolatry - the same idolatry that is the underlying reason for all of Ezekiel's writing.
So, of course Ezekiel 28 describes Satan. But, it also describes Adam and Eve. It also describes us as we give ourselves over to idolatry/materialism. In this way, we were all in Eden, the garden of God.
Father, what I have seen today amazes me. It has always been there, but just today have I seen it. As I understand Ezekiel 28 to describe me in my materialism/idolatry, may it further confirm my need to give up my own way, take up my cross, and follow Jesus. So be it.
No comments:
Post a Comment