Tuesday, March 26, 2024

God Does Lists (and we should too)

The following is a list of the kings that Joshua and the Israelite armies defeated on the west side of the Jordan, from Baal-gad in the valley of Lebanon to Mount Halak, which leads up to Seir. [Joshua 12.7a]

As Israel's history goes, why was it important to record the names of the kings Israel defeated? Of course, it is advantageous for knowledge to have these records, but what spiritual application is there (if any)?

I have learned that God is apparently into "lists," signifying His interest and interaction with man and thus modeling for us the importance of lists in our own lives particularly as it relates to prayer. In the OYCB to date this year, we have seen numerous lists of names, territories and nations. The book of Joshua however seems to focus to some degree on lists of a different nature - lists of conquered nations and kings.

Why would lists of conquered nations and kings be important then and today? The answer is simple: to serve as a reminder of what God has done and therefore as encouragement of what will continue to do!

To understand this in my own life, I should consider, record and rehearse lists of things God has overcome in my life. So here goes... 

This is a list of things God has overcome in my life:

God turned my run away from Him to a run to Him. 

God broke the power of loneliness working against me by giving me my wife and family. 

God overcame my addiction to tobacco. 

God defeated my destructive desire for alcohol and drugs. 

God kept me from poverty providing in unexplainable ways. 

God broke the pattern of prayerlessness in my life. 

God overcame my lethargy toward Bible reading. 

God removed my worldly satisfaction with spiritual status quo. 

God overcame my laziness toward written response to His Word. 

The list could go on, but these were big victories... 

Now, having some understanding of the importance of reviewing and rehearsing the victories God has given, I must also see the importance of the following verse:

When Joshua was an old man, the LORD said to him, “You are growing old, and much land remains to be conquered. [Joshua 13.1]

Even as an aging man, God gives me confirmation that there is more to be accomplished. What might that be? Another list perhaps? I think so as God then began in Joshua 13.2 to detail for Joshua what remained to be done - what areas remained to be conquered - what victories lay ahead.

I will spare the reader of detailing my "remaining territory" list here... But, be sure of this, it is necessary and it needs to be reviewed and rehearsed daily in order to recognize victory when it comes. Suffice it however to say, this "remaining territory" list for all could best be summed up like this: "I need to thoroughly and completely die to self." We should all understand that a list of people (family, friends, leaders, nations and our own self) is, in fact, our "remaining territory" needing daily prayer. If God listed these things for Joshua, we should understand He has listed things for us too. The Bible is very clear about the characteristics of Jesus that God desires to see in our lives and the lives of those we pray for.

For me, I have been faithfully praying over "remaining territory" (victories to come) for others for quite some time now although I have been lax in this for my personal life. However, my rehearsal of past victories has been all but non-existent and this needs to change.

Once again, I set out to write one thing, but another surfaced. Thank God for His faithfulness to speak through His Word even when I am only halfway listening!

Father, today marks the day in my life where I am determined to maintain two lists as seen in Joshua 13 - a list of victories past and a list of victories to come. Help me to be found faithful in my acknowledgement and rehearsal of these lists on a daily basis! So be it.

No comments: