Monday, March 25, 2024

Do The Work

“Do not be afraid of them,” the LORD said to Joshua, “for I have given you victory over them. Not a single one of them will be able to stand up to you.” [Joshua 10.8]

Chapters 10 and 11 of Joshua are powerful. There is much to be learned from what is said in these chapters regarding doing God's will with confidence and boldness. But first...

God's people must understand what it is that God has commissioned them to do. This was true for Joshua and Israel and it is true for us today.

Followers of Jesus Christ (who are indeed God's people today), have just as clear "marching orders" as did Joshua and Israel:

Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [Matthew 28.18-20]

And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone. Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned. These miraculous signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak in new languages. They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick, and they will be healed.” [Mark 16.15-18]

It was also written that this message would be proclaimed in the authority of his name to all the nations, beginning in Jerusalem: ‘There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent.’ [Luke 24.47]

Again he said, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.” Then he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, they are forgiven. If you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.” [John 20.21-23]

The Bible is very clear what God's will is, and therefore, the work we are to do. We are at no loss for reason why God commissioned us as He did above in the following well-known passage: 

“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. [John 3.16]

Along with these passages of commission, believers are given numerous promises of support in 'doing the work.' Among those are these key passages:

The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever. [Psalm 23]

Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. [Matthew 6.33]

And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life. [Matthew 19.29]

What victories might we experience like Joshua and Israel if we simply acted upon these passages of promise and commission from God?

Seriously, any argument we might have against serving God's kingdom is addressed by God's Word and particularly the two most prevalent reasons: earning a living and family.

The problem with us 'doing the work' then is not a dilemma of God's commission or promise of provision, but of our submission to faith. God quite thoroughly addressed every excuse we might have.

One of the Apostle Paul's prayers might be seen as beneficial at this point:

So we keep on praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of his call. May he give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do. Then the name of our Lord Jesus will be honored because of the way you live, and you will be honored along with him. This is all made possible because of the grace of our God and Lord, Jesus Christ. [2 Thessalonians 1.11-12]

Father, You have given us all the information and direction we need to follow You and Your will on earth... May we be found simply doing the work. 

No comments: