Translate

Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Pride Is A Dead End

They will receive the wages of their pride, for they have scoffed at the people of the LORD of Heaven’s Armies. [Zephaniah 2.10]

In today's OYCB reading, there are prophecies about Moab and Amon, Ethiopia and Assyria, Jerusalem and also Philistia. It just so happens the verse above is about Moab and Ammon, but the content of the verse is universal not only in the prophecies of today's reading, but thematic throughout the Bible when God addresses nations and peoples found in rebellion. This universal theme is pride. Pride is a dead end.

I was discussing the Bible with a professed white supremacist yesterday. I find it disturbing that any person could read the Bible and come up with such theology, but I simply spoke Truth as I know it in contrast to some of this person's claims. The thing that has stood out to me in my conversation yesterday and every other conversation I have ever had with this individual is the unapologetic arrogance and pride regarding this person's theology and existence in general.

The Bible is very forthright in addressing pride as a sin as well as addressing other sins that originate in pride. There is no instance in the Bible where human pride is ever acceptable or good. And yet, white supremacists hypocritically claim the Bible as the source for their misguided theology that arrogantly excludes all but the Arian race!

But, so goes pride. As it went with the most infamous white supremacist in history, so it goes today. Arrogance is spread as propaganda and then enforced with brutality. Not ironically though, the aforementioned leader of this erroneous mindset died in retreat with his armies soundly defeated. Pride went before his destruction (Proverbs 16.18).

Father, I know it is not enough to simply decry pride and arrogance in the earth today without demonstrating true contrition and humility. Help me to be a genuine demonstrator of this humble lifestyle as was Jesus so that Your love for the world might be evident not only from Your written Word and Jesus' example, but also from my life - Christ in me.

No comments: