Translate

Tuesday, August 02, 2022

From Complaining To Rejoicing

Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the LORD! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! [Habakkuk 3.17-18]

Even though everything seemed to have fallen into disarray, Habakkuk's commitment was to rejoice in God. He was well aware that the circumstances in which he was living were the punishment for the sin of his generation. Habakkuk was convinced however that salvation was his regardless of his circumstances.

It cannot be overlooked though that Habakkuk did not simply sit around praising God all the time. Before coming to his conclusion in chapter 3.17-18, Habakkuk started off  his writing like this:

How long, O LORD, must I call for help? But you do not listen! “Violence is everywhere!” I cry, but you do not come to save. Must I forever see these evil deeds? Why must I watch all this misery? Wherever I look, I see destruction and violence. I am surrounded by people who love to argue and fight. The law has become paralyzed, and there is no justice in the courts. The wicked far outnumber the righteous, so that justice has become perverted. [Habakkuk 1.2-4]

I feel most of the time like I am in the early stages of Habakkuk's frame of mind and have not come to the same joyful conclusion to his state of affairs.

So how did Habakkuk get from his complaint in chapter 1 to his joyful resolve in chapter 3.17-18?

It seems to have begun with a prayer:

I have heard all about you, LORD. I am filled with awe by your amazing works. In this time of our deep need, help us again as you did in years gone by. And in your anger, remember your mercy. [Habakkuk 3.2]

And then, after this prayer, Habakkuk began to rehearse all that God had done in the past displaying His power and redemption for His people.

Hmm.

Father, I have heard all about you, LORD. I am filled with awe by your amazing works. In this time of our deep need, help us again as you did in years gone by. And in your anger, remember your mercy.

No comments: