Translate

Friday, June 03, 2022

What About Retirement?

Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich. Be wise enough to know when to quit. [Proverbs 23.4]

What about retirement?

As I approach early retirement years, this verse stands out to me more today than ever before.

I am tired. It would seem my days of 'hustle' are mostly behind me and I have accomplished all I am going to accomplish in the realm of acquiring wealth. I am not giving up but rather turning a page to look ahead.

Although I may age and transition away from the quest of "making a living," God's call on my life never changes. I am (and always have been) called to repentance and faith just like every other human being who ever lived. It's true that if I am less focused on making a living, I have more resources to focus on the areas of repentance and faith.

The reality of the previous paragraph is that now, more than ever, my potential influence on those younger than me is peaking. To fail to comprehend this fact is perhaps the greatest shortcoming of any human life. No doubt, younger generations need some stability and who better to guide them than those who have gone before?

I am called to such a time as this!

Father, may my years and experience only serve to better fulfill Your purpose for my life! As riches mean less and eternity means more, may my witness to others flourish into the fullness You designed it to be.

No comments: