Translate

Thursday, May 12, 2022

Thoughts About Vows

Then I will sing praises to your name forever as I fulfill my vows each day. [Psalm 61.8]

It stood out to me today that more than one passage in today's OYCB reading contained reference to "vows."

What mighty praise, O God, belongs to you in Zion. We will fulfill our vows to you, for you answer our prayers. All of us must come to you. [Psalm 65.1-2]

Now I come to your Temple with burnt offerings to fulfill the vows I made to you—yes, the sacred vows that I made when I was in deep trouble. [Psalm 66.13-14]

How many of us have made vows to God? It may or may not have been any sort of public declaration, but simply a prayer whispered in a moment of reflection or cried out in great distress.

I have.

A vow I made as a very young adult that was a commitment I made in the midst of a dangerous situation that if God delivered me, I would serve Him.

Another vow I made as a young man was a marriage vow to my wife.

In both these vows, it could be said that I have generally succeeded up to now, but it has not been without trying times. There have been difficulties and dangerous moments of doubt and even fear, but I declare my gratitude today that God has sustained me, been merciful to me, and constantly drawn me away from disaster and instead unto Himself.

No doubt, the blessings as well as the difficulties in my life are directly related to these commitments made to the LORD

The cool thing about my two vows mentioned here is their relationship to Jesus Christ. In Christ, my vow to serve God is fulfilled. In Christ, my vow to marriage is made strong. My ongoing vow to believe in Jesus sustains me in both these other vows.

Father, help me to remain mindful, throughout this day and the rest of my life, of the vows I have made to You. Forgive me for any foolish vows I made without thought or consideration - but thank You for helping me to succeed in the righteous vows. May my life speak clearly of commitment and dedication to You as I endeavor to glorify Jesus with my life.

No comments: