Blessed are those who fear to do wrong, but the stubborn are headed for serious trouble. [Proverbs 28.14]
I like the way the NIV puts it:
Blessed is the one who always trembles before God, but whoever hardens their heart falls into trouble. [Proverbs 28.14 NIV]
I hear people say far too often that the "fear of God" is more of "respect" than "being afraid." Let me pointed: If people truly knew God, they would know that to fear Him means to be afraid of Him!
Jesus was very clear:
“Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell. [Matthew 10.28]
Yes, God can send you to hell. And, He will send all to hell who refuse to submit all to Him.
Let me discuss here the difference between the words "fear" and "respect." Fear carries the idea of acknowledging inferiority to the one who is feared - there is knowledge that the one feared can cause harm or destruction and cannot be resisted.
Respect carries the idea of equality - acknowledging strong characteristics in another, but from the point of view of one who has strong characteristics himself. Respect implies, "I won't hurt you if you don't try to hurt me." Or, "I recognize your strength because I am strong too.
People, if we are smart, we will not be so proud as to "respect" God! We will instead FEAR HIM because He is in every way superior to us and has every right at any moment to mercilessly destroy us and we, in no way can prevent Him (let alone equal Him)!
Thank God for Jesus. But be reminded, Jesus said "Fear God." Anyone who attempts to make this mean to respect God has arrogantly declared himself equal with God and able to judge God's actions or characteristics as "respectable." I'm just sayin' - Don't go there...
Father, You are God and there is no other. Forgive any arrogance on my part to ever think I could 'judge' You in any way whatsoever. No matter how good I think myself, You are the judge and You will not tolerate being judged - and certainly not by me. I know You are good because You declare Your goodness and remain unchallenged in Your claim. I join in declaring Your goodness! I also know You are to be feared because by Your simply taking Your eyes off me I am destroyed. I am nothing, but You are everything. You are God and You are good and Your faithful love endures forever. I don't even know my own heart...
No comments:
Post a Comment