Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Where Did We Ever...

The LORD was very angry with Solomon, for his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice. [1 Kings 11.9]

Where did we ever come up with the idea that 'bad things happen to good people?'

If ever there was a story in the Bible that clearly shows that God blesses 'good' and curses 'bad,' today's reading in the OYCB is it!

Who, more than Solomon ever walked in such blessing from God - everything from wisdom to riches was given to Solomon because his heart was pure and right before God! God even appeared to Solomon on two different occasions!

But then there was the issue of Solomon's many wives... And, they weren't just good Israelite girls either - they were nasty Moabites, Ammonites, and the likes - people whose religious practices, as I understand it, heavily involved sexual perversion and idol worship. Solomon's wives prevailed over him and led to his falling from favor with God into His displeasure.

The result of Solomon's unfaithfulness was losing the kingdom. The events that led to Solomon losing the kingdom could otherwise be seen as just normal political events - but we know it was because Solomon betrayed God. Relationships went bad and enemies presented themselves. Things began to go bad.

Is it any wonder then that the book of Ecclesiastes starts off as it does?

These are the words of the Teacher, King David’s son, who ruled in Jerusalem. “Everything is meaningless,” says the Teacher, “completely meaningless!” [Ecclesiastes 1.1-2]

How does a guy spiral down from being the wisest, most blessed king in the world to making the statement above in Ecclesiastes? By disobedience to God. It is not rocket science!

What does this mean to us? It means that if we experience political unrest, treachery and turmoil, causing us to see life as meaningless, then, we should be repenting because we have most certainly chased after our own lustful desires and left the purpose and plan of God.

Father, I cannot count the times I have felt, and possibly even recited myself, similar words to Solomon's found in Ecclesiastes. I confess that I have experienced these feelings because I have turned my back on You and Your Word and will. I am not unlike Solomon in that I have been distracted by my own lust for things and pleasure. Please forgive me.

No comments: