Tuesday, June 04, 2019

SoS

Come away, my love! Be like a gazelle or a young stag on the mountains of spices. [Song of Solomon 8.14]

I guess this is what every young man wants to hear from his prospective lover.

No doubt, there could be many 'takes' on Song of Solomon. I have often heard it refers to the love between God and His people. However, the illicit nature of the direct and indirect sexual references in Song of Solomon make me believe this writing is about physical love more than anything else.

Why else would there be so many references to looks, color of skin, form of body, smell, and the likes?

If in fact Song of Solomon is the work of God to be put in the Bible, then, my only conclusion is that physical attraction and sexual expression has a place in God's people.

I think we might also draw some conclusions about what that looks like too. One thing in particular is that physical love between humans is notably between a man and a woman. While the physical beauty of the woman and the man of Song of Solomon may be noted each by their own gender, the fulfillment of the sexual attraction is carried out strictly between the male and female.

It is also quite clear that the physical relationship between the man and woman is rather, 'without boundaries.' It seems every part of the body of each lover is involved in the act of love described here.

There is also a repeated phrase found in Song of Solomon: "Don't awaken love until the time is right..." It seems to indicate to me that there is indeed a time for physical love - but not just any time. The reference here is not to awaken love too soon. What a lesson that is.

Father, I am hesitant to make too many bold statements about Song of Solomon. However, I thank You for the writing and I am asking that You reveal more of its meaning to me.

No comments: