LORD, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don’t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to grasp. Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself, like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk. Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me. [Psalm 131.1-2]
Too bad Job didn't have this passage from Psalms before or during his ordeal.
Instead of calming and quieting himself, Job blasted out a tirade of arrogant and haughty claims. Job's speeches cost him a good rebuking by God Who required him to repent.
How do we know if we are not proud or haughty? It is simply really, we will be able to calm and quiet ourselves in difficult times. In other words, we will be able to keep our mouths shut without compulsion to speak our minds.
I will just say right here and now, that this is a difficult 'pill for me to swallow.'
Father, i want to learn to keep my mouth shut. And, more than that, I want to be able to keep my mouth shut because my heart is tuned to You. It seems simple right now in the solitude and silence of my devotional time...
No comments:
Post a Comment