And I said, “This is my fate; the Most High has turned his hand against me.” But then I recall all you have done, O LORD; I remember your wonderful deeds of long ago. [Psalm 77.10-11]
Many of us can relate to the Psalmist complaint found here in Psalm 77. Verses 1-9 describe what I believe many besides myself experience at some time or another.
It is not a good place to be - what Psalm 77.1-9 details. But it is indeed a real place!
"God is against me." I will just say it - I have felt this more often than I care to admit.
So, is there a remedy for this troublesome state of existence?
We are privileged to see something amazing here in the Psalms if we will only allow ourselves to do so. There is indeed a remedy for feeling alone and rejected by God: Remember!
What does "remembering" mean? Here is my opinion: remembering first means rehearsing to myself Who God Is. It means remembering that God loves deeply. It means remembering that God performs amazing feats to lavish His love upon those whom He has chosen. It means remembering that even God's chosen people wandered away and suffered for it. It means remembering that God has always shown Himself to be forgiving, gracious and merciful to those who...
Wait for it...
Remember...
And when God's people were to regain God's goodness in their lives, it was ALWAYS on the heels of REPENTANCE.
But don't believe me - read it for yourself. The Book (the Bible) is about nothing if it is not about God's relationship with mankind - His undying attempt to restore and keep man in fellowship with Himself.
So, what to do when feeling separated from God? Remember! But be aware that remembering will, in all likelihood, lead to repentance. It is designed to do that! And, true repentance will lead to restoration.
Don't believe it? Then don't repent. But don't complain then either.
Father, I am humbled again today to be able just to experience this time with You. Please forgive me for pride against You - pride that manifests in my thinking that I deserve anything good from You. Help me instead to remember all that You have done, all that has been done against You, and all that has transpired in Your plan for redemption. Help me remember... help me remember to repent - and remain repentant at all times - humbled before You, a loving and merciful God Who is Just. When I remember, I am drawn to repentance... You are so good. Thank You.
No comments:
Post a Comment