Monday, July 04, 2016

Independence Day

God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. [Psalm 46.1]

It is Independence Day in the USA today and I realized how fitting this verse is to the very existence of this nation.

As I read the One Year Chronological Bible reading for today, I realized all the particular Psalms that made up today's reading all seemed to declare a dependence upon God as well as a call to remembrance of how He has brought us to this place. Likewise a cry for help was evident.

My heart is heavy today with the sad truth that the strong relationship with God that our country was founded upon is no longer a mainstream fact. It does however remain. 

The civil freedom we enjoy in the United States came about because of the will of God manifested through the obedience of men who sought and obeyed His will.

I believe the following verse has great importance:

The Lord of Heaven’s Armies is here among us; the God of Israel is our fortress. [Psalm 46.7]

We need a revival - a restoration - of this truth. We need God.

God bless the USA!

Father, please make this Independence Day mean much more this year than just picnics and fireworks.

No comments: