Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Think About Mortality

About that time Hezekiah became deathly ill, and the prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to visit him. He gave the king this message: “This is what the Lord says: Set your affairs in order, for you are going to die. You will not recover from this illness.”

When Hezekiah heard this, he turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, “Remember, O Lord, how I have always been faithful to you and have served you single-mindedly, always doing what pleases you.” Then he broke down and wept bitterly. [2 Kings 20.1-3]

What's so bad about dying?

I think it must break God's heart how attached we humans are to living. This would seem especially true for those humans who are particularly in a relationship with God!

As the story plays out, Hezekiah's is a case where his will to live did not serve him well. Instead, Hezekiah's additional time gave opportunity for bad stuff in Hezekiah to surface.

There are two reasons I can see that a person would not embrace the end of life: one is that the person is not genuinely in a confident relationship with God, and two, is that the person generally thinks life on earth is better than eternity in heaven. Both reasons are flawed.

Then, of course, there is a third and noble instance where a person genuinely wishes to stay alive for the benefit of others -I think of a young parent in this scenario wishing to live and be there for a child. But, even then, is it pride in a young parent to think he or she is the only source of nurturing for a young child? What an argument that question ignites!

I think the key here is to understand first that we are all going to die. Then, with this fact in mind I think we may better navigate this terminal life with an appreciation for every breath. When mortality is a given, one is better equipped to live with expedient purpose (understanding that preparing for  the care of others in the event of our death is prudent and selfless).

We need to think about our mortality.

Father, I want to serve my purpose here on earth. However, if given the heads-up, I don't want to be faithless or selfish in the face of eternity. Help me to live this and every day (I am fortunate enough to experience hereafter) like it is my last!




No comments: