I am weary, O God; I am weary and worn out, O God. I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense. I have not mastered human wisdom, nor do I know the Holy One. [Proverbs 30.1-3]
I guess its okay from time to time to be weary. I also suppose it is normal to occasionally feel inadequate for even the simplicity of life. And, probably, it is not sinful to realize how little we know God. But, is it good?
It is hard to 'do something' when one feels worn out and weary.
It is hard to 'make a change' when one feels incompetent or ignorant.
It is hard to feel 'spiritually fulfilled' when one realizes he does not really know God.
Maybe there is merit in simply acknowledging the facts above. A theme that resonates in the passages following the one above (as well as all of the Proverbs) is that pride should be avoided and humility sought after.
One thing is certain, pride has little room to rear its ugly head when one is weary, weak, ignorant, incompetent, and feeling pointless. True wisdom is to realize that we are all in the condition described here when compared to God.
Even the strongest warrior is utterly debilitated compared to God.
Even the most intelligent human is no smarter than a snail when compared to God.
Even the most truly pious person knows little of his relationship compared to God.
It just fact. God is Supreme and any one or anything pales in comparison. The truly wise person recognizes and remembers this fact.
Father, I hope my heart is right before You in my assessment of the scripture above. Help me to realize that at my very best, I am nothing compared to You. I want relationship with You - I need it desperately. Please help me to know You and to make You known.
No comments:
Post a Comment