Translate

Thursday, October 02, 2014

SOM (Sermon on the Mount)

God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. [Matthew 5.3]

This was a great way for Jesus to start His famous Sermon on the Mount.  Not that I declare it a great way makes it so, but the fact that it actually defines those who will actually comprehend everything that is to follow makes this the perfect opening statement for what was to be the most famous sermon ever delivered.

Without us realizing our need for Him, nothing in the rest of the Sermon on the Mount (SOM), will make much sense.  If we read the SOM as if it is our place to judge it, then there is simply nothing there for us - we will miss it altogether.

However, if we approach the SOM as broken individuals in need of every spiritual medicinal value offered by Jesus, then the SOM can and will bring help and healing to our souls.  But not until we have emptied ourselves of every proud thought or reservation toward Jesus and His teaching can we receive the message of the SOM.

Any person who has followed even a few of my posts here in this blog easily recognizes that I can be challenging toward the Bible and Christianity at times.  I have posted critical reviews of what is written in the Bible and how Christians act.  Although I may be able to get by with scrutinizing parts of the Bible and its followers, I think best that I leave the SOM alone.  Frankly, if I cannot become humble and poor in spirit before beginning the SOM, then there really is no point in reading or studying any of it.

Father, please forgive me for making myself judge of the SOM as if I will determine what it means and pick and choose what I will and won't adhere to in it.

No comments: