Translate

Thursday, August 07, 2014

They Were Delivered - Why?

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you.  If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us.  He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty.  But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.” [Daniel 3.16-18]

Probably I have commented on this passage of scripture many times over the past several years of blogging here.  This passage makes a great sermon.  This passage inspires active service to God and refusal to comply with the world!

I just wonder why God rescued the three Hebrews.  They were delivered - why?  I mean, I have read Book of Martyrs by John Foxe, and there were so many who, like the Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, refused to bow down or comply with ungodly ways, and were burned alive for it.  Yes, they died horrific deaths usually tied to a stake among a pile of wood set on fire.

Why did the martyrs of Foxe's record not receive deliverance as did the three Hebrews?

Father, sometimes, I leave my writing here with a question, and today is one of those days.  Help me to be mindful of this question today and listen throughout the day from an answer from You.

No comments: