Translate

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Faithful Few - Faithless Many

The runners [inviting all Israel to return to the LORD and His temple at Hezekiah's command] went from town to town throughout Ephraim and Manasseh and as far as the territory of Zebulun. But most of the people just laughed at the runners and made fun of them. 11 However, some people from Asher, Manasseh, and Zebulun humbled themselves and went to Jerusalem. [2 Chronicles 30.10-11]

I realized today that not all the people of Israel followed God.

I wonder how similar this instance was to contemporary 'Christian' nations across the world, including the USA?

Apparently, the 'return' to God chronicled in this portion of the Bible was significant and God Himself was pleased with it.  But even with this, the verse above indicates that "most" of the people just laughed it off.  What? Israel was not wholly devoted to God throughout?

Somehow I think I've had it in my head that all Israel moved together in their relationship to God.  I think I failed in thinking that when Israel 'sinned' still there were a faithful few who did not.  But for some reason, when I've considered that Israel 'pleased God' I've failed to consider that there were the faithless many who did not...

Father, help me to understand how You declare a nation 'Godly' when not all follow You.  I know it has much to do with how You declare a nation 'ungodly' even though there are faithful ones present.

No comments: