Translate

Monday, July 14, 2014

Counting On The Lord

I am counting on the Lord; yes, I am counting on him.  I have put my hope in his word. [Psalm 130.5]

I was intrigued by this verse today.  I wonder just how many of us, in actual reality, "count on" the LORD?

Likewise, I wonder just how many of us "hope in" His Word?

Frankly, it occurred to me that, as a society of believers, we may not comply with the Psalmist's presentation of trusting in God.  I think we "count on" a lot of things, however, I am afraid those things are not the LORD.  
For example, we count on water to flow from the tap when we turn it on.  For many of us, we have put our hope in the respective municipality or rural provider to do and maintain everything necessary for water to be readily available to us on demand.  We do not rise from bed every day and wonder if there will be water!

And yet, as believers, we struggle with trusting the LORD and His Word.  What's more, we may not even have a grasp of what "His Word" even is!  Oh to be sure, we point our finger at the Bible - but do we count on it?  Have we come to the place in our absorption of the Bible's teachings that it has become Living Water to our souls?  Has the Bible truly become The Word in our lives to the extent that our "hope" has turned to "counting on" the LORD's constant intervention in our particular life and situation?

Furthermore, has the Bible so introduced us to God that our relationship with Him is far bigger than just quoting statements written by others in antiquity?  Is anyone having fresh conversation with God (not just to Him but from Him)?  Are we really finding contemporary application of the Bible?

I must say, that this exercise of reading the One Year Bible and then blogging here has turned into something more than just daily regiment.  I have found myself anticipating something from God that applies to the current day or circumstance in which I find myself at that time.  In that anticipation, I have not been disappointed!  And yet, I feel I only stick my toe in the bottomless pool of God's good Word.  I have tested the waters... I want more.

Father, I realized today that You have been faithful to Your end of the bargain in meeting me here.  I recognize that I have indeed come to rely on what You speak to me through opportunity to learn more about You through daily readings of the Bible - prescribed as they may be by the One Year Bible folks!  I never cease to be amazed how through this prescribed reading You constantly speak directly to my current circumstances!  You are good!  Thank You!

No comments: