Translate

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Good or Bad?

Joash began to rule over Judah in the seventh year of King Jehu’s reign in Israel.  He reigned in Jerusalem forty years.  His mother was Zibiah from Beersheba.  All his life Joash did what was pleasing in the Lord’s sight because Jehoiada the priest instructed him.  Yet even so, he did not destroy the pagan shrines, and the people still offered sacrifices and burned incense there. [2 Kings 12.1-3]

But after Jehoiada’s death, the leaders of Judah came and bowed before King Joash and persuaded him to listen to their advice.  They decided to abandon the Temple of the Lord, the God of their ancestors, and they worshiped Asherah poles and idols instead!  Because of this sin, divine anger fell on Judah and Jerusalem.  Yet the Lord sent prophets to bring them back to him.  The prophets warned them, but still the people would not listen.  Then the Spirit of God came upon Zechariah son of Jehoiada the priest.  He stood before the people and said, “This is what God says: Why do you disobey the Lord’s commands and keep yourselves from prospering?  You have abandoned the Lord, and now he has abandoned you!”  Then the leaders plotted to kill Zechariah, and King Joash ordered that they stone him to death in the courtyard of the Lord’s Temple.  That was how King Joash repaid Jehoiada for his loyalty—by killing his son.  Zechariah’s last words as he died were, “May the Lord see what they are doing and avenge my death!” [2 Chronicles 24.17-22]

Well now, 2 Kings and 2 Chronicles don't really agree on the life of King Joash.  2 Kings says Joash pleased the LORD all his life while 2 Chronicles says Joash abandoned the LORD even killing Jehoida's son.  I know its a small discrepancy, but, to antagonists of the Bible, it is just one more "brick in the wall" separating them from God if the Bible is allegedly perfect.

I am on no mission to point out these discrepancies, but they do stand out to me and I do feel compelled to address them.  I simply cannot do the 'religious thing' and ignore them!  

I neither consider myself an antagonist of the Bible nor a worshiper of the Bible.  I like however to consider myself an objective student of the Bible with my worship and faith in the God of the Bible.  The story of the Bible is clear enough to effectively introduce me to God and I am quite confident enough in that relationship that I do not see the point in worshiping 'the pipe that brings the water.'  

I am very satisfied to enjoy the 'water' of the LORD in His Son Jesus, and although I appreciate the conduit through which I received it (the Bible), nothing in me is compelled to worship that conduit!  The 'water' I receive is pure, holy, and life-giving - the pipe can't do that.  Is it not ironic that a piece of pipe is a known weapon for bludgeoning someone with?  But the Word of God - sometimes referred to as 'water' - is said to be sharper than a two-edged sword...  A scalpel comes to mind - it is incredibly sharp to do precise healing work!

I've probably painted myself into some kind of corner here, but that's okay.  I am on a journey that has me engaged!  I want more!

Father, You are so good and faithful!  Thank You for the Bible and Your Story that it has so faithfully presented through the ages.  Help those who seek to accurately translate the Bible's most ancient manuscripts - give them clarity and discernment to recognize and present the continuity of Your Story throughout!  Help every student of the Bible to first and foremost know You and then to make You known!

No comments: