It is important (I think) to read Isaiah objectively with the expectation of the new covenant (New Testament) as the backdrop. As with most historical events, whose true meaning or ramification is only revealed later, so it is with Isaiah. I can only imagine Isaiah, being a contemporary man, struggled with the words he was given to write - struggled with their full meaning. While he is foretelling near-future political events, there comes to the mix the not-so-near-future spiritual-political advent of Christ and His Kingdom. It confuses me just write it here!
Galatians is such a relief! Chapter 3, verses 10-22 (today's NT reading) makes a clear presentation of Christ's rescuing us from the curse of the law by suffering all the punishment designed for us (breakers of the law). It is indeed Good News! I am constantly comforted by this fact because I know my own inability to 'be good'.
How appropriate is Psalm 61 today, "...when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety,..." vs. 2. In other words...
Lord, when I am overwhelmed with my sinful self [and I constantly am], lead me to the towering rock, Jesus Christ, for complete forgiveness and full acceptance with You!
No comments:
Post a Comment