Paul makes further argument in today's NT reading that we are no longer under the law.
Every time I make the previous statement I always feel the need to 'qualify' myself. What a strange phenomenon! Why is that so? Every time I say, "I am free from the law," there is, without exception, an immediate "but..." Sometimes I wonder if we REALLY trust God and His Word or not. As if God's Word and salvation in Christ is too good to be true, I find myself reasoning that there is need for further explanation.
The fact is, if we truly 'believed' there would indeed be no need for the law! The fact is, if Christ was truly residing within us by His Holy Spirit, we would naturally live by His higher law - the law of love - which supersedes the written law. The fact is... It is all about faith.
I think we back away from this discussion too much (usually defaulting to law-governed thinking). I think we would rather stay in the comfort of our 'fenced yard' of the law than venture out into the open fields of freedom in Christ. I think we are afraid of ourselves. I think we are afraid we will use our liberty to sin. I think we have no idea what true freedom in Christ even is! I think our churches default to legalism because they don't want to deal with the potential messy situations of a 'law-less' congregation or society.
Furthermore, I think, when we default to legalism, it is an open insult to Almighty God and His message of love and grace. I think we negate the power of love (and walking therein) when we resort to the rules (OT law) we so readily defend.
Ironically, 1 John in the NT says perfect love casts out fear. When we genuinely focus on loving God and loving man, we will (in the power of love) move away from the fear that attaches us back to the law. Then, and only then, can we truly experience the freedom in Christ that Paul is urging the church in Galatia to return to.
Are we children of bondage or freedom?
God help us accept and live in the freedom You give in Jesus. Really.
No comments:
Post a Comment