Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Reality

Isaiah is mostly prophecy today about Israel being freed from Babylon's rule. What would otherwise seem an impossible task, God assures His people through Isaiah that He will accomplish. And, not only will God accomplish this task, but He will do so in grand fashion.

In Ephesians 4.17-32 Paul makes some bold statements. I find myself feeling hopeless at times when I read passages such as this one. "With the Lord's authority I say this: Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused. Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against Him. They have no sense of shame. They live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every kind of impurity."

I struggle to see myself any different than this. I wonder about grace; has not the blood of Jesus covered me? As I try to serve God and live for Him, I still see myself meeting the criteria listed here. Reality. And, like verse 20 says, I know that is not what I learned about Christ. What happened to the freedom Paul spoke so boldly about to the Galatian church? I could go on and on...

"Save me, O God, for the floodwaters are up to my neck. Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire; I can't find a foothold. I am in deep water. and the floods overwhelm me. I am exhausted from crying for help; my throat is parched. My eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my God to help me." Psalm 69.1-3

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Still reading.... Love you!