“I have created the blacksmith who fans the coals beneath the forge and makes the weapons of destruction. And I have created the armies that destroy. But in that coming day no weapon turned against you will succeed. You will silence every voice raised up to accuse you. These benefits are enjoyed by the servants of the LORD; their vindication will come from me. I, the LORD, have spoken! [Isaiah 54.16-17]
I had a dream before waking today. It was unlike any dream I can ever recall...
I was in a place with people all around. I don't recall knowing any of them.
At one point a group of people presented weapons, started shouting demands, and everyone else began to panic (as would be expected) most of them falling to the ground. I don't know what the intention of the armed people was. I distinctly remember feeling compelled to simply walk away whether they shot me or not - which I did - down a long hallway - fully aware that at any moment, a shot could ring out and I could take a bullet in the back and it would all be over. I could hear the perpetrators shouting asking what I was doing, but no shot was fired. I remember that my walking away was not at all in their plan evidenced by their disbelief at my actions. Why they did not shoot me, only God knows. Everyone else was paralyzed in fear for their lives.
Once I reached the end of the hall and turned the corner into what felt like was "safety," I was compelled once again to turn around and walk right back into the place where the gun-wielding perpetrators were. And so, I did, much to their disbelief. By this time, I felt I was safe and that the LORD's hand was upon what I was doing and that He had a purpose in it.
A woman, the ring-leader of the perpetrators, came straight up to me and we began to talk. Although I was aware that she could simply kill me, I was unafraid - and she knew it. By this time I was keenly aware that God had kept me safe thus far, and so I spoke to her from that confidence. I knew this was an opportunity to share Jesus Christ with this woman.
My mind began racing to try to think about what I should say to her. I wondered about the Romans Road, I wondered if there was any other scripture..., I regretted not having a plan of my own... By this time, she had laid her own weapon down and was knelt down beside a bench (or something) and ready to hear whatever I had to say. I told her that I believe the Bible and almost simultaneously, one of her cohorts came to her and told her none of that was true. But she kept listening to me even though, unknown to her, I was struggling to know what to say.
And then, I believe the Holy Spirit made clear to me that I had already "said" everything I needed to say when I, at first, simply walked away from the danger she and her group presented, and then turned and purposefully walked right back to them. My actions had already spoken clearly to them what my words were struggling to say.
And, just as I recall my eyes opening to the reality that it was all a dream, my final "dream thought" was that my actionate testimony to the lady and her group was that I had no fear... As my eyes opened to the dim light of dawn creeping around the curtains into my bedroom, I lay there in extraordinary peace. I don't recall ever waking from any kind of dream without some kind of anxiety, expectation, or some sense of let-down... But this dream was different...
As is my custom, I started my day in my office reading the One Year Chronological Bible reading of the day. I was fully expecting that something I would read today would relate to the dream I had just awakened from. And, the passage above met that expectation.
My takeaway from it all today is that I should have no fear. As my life is hid with Christ in God, what should cause me to fear? The correct answer is: absolutely nothing.
What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else? Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself. Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us. Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”) No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. [Romans 8.31-39]
Over the last few years, my life and writing has spoken much to the subject of idolatry. Without beating that worthy drum again today, suffice it to say that every idol man has made for himself was made out of fear that God would not provide or care for him. Finance, insurance, medicine and technology have no foothold at all on a person who fears nothing but takes God entirely at His Word.
For many, even institutional church holds a 'fear foothold' keeping them from walking in pure Spirit-led fellowship with God and man.
So, in my dream, was I being foolish or 'tempting God' to leave my place of "safety" and walk back down the hall in the midst of certain death?
Our lives serve a purpose on earth. Fear stands between us and that purpose just as idols stand between us and God. In fact, idols employ fear.
The question today is not, "Who will walk down the hall away from danger?" but instead, "Who will walk back down that same hall away from safety and straight into danger?"
Jesus said it best:
If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. [Matthew 16.24 (also, Mark 8.34 & Luke 9.23)]
It was just a dream, right? If this article turns out to be my "swan song," I am at perfect peace with it.
Father, help us all to be at peace because our lives are hid with Christ in You. Help us to face every day and every situation with only one goal - to follow Jesus - understanding that He at once walked out of danger and then ultimately walked right into it - all for Your purpose and for Your glory. So be it. Yes, so be it.
No comments:
Post a Comment