Translate

Thursday, July 25, 2024

Who Am I?

The Sovereign LORD has given me his words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary. Morning by morning he wakens me and opens my understanding to his will. The Sovereign LORD has spoken to me, and I have listened. I have not rebelled or turned away. I offered my back to those who beat me and my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard. I did not hide my face from mockery and spitting. [Isaiah 50.4-6]

When I first began to read this passage, I immediately thought of myself in having established the discipline of daily reading of the Word, writing, and praying. This practice has increasingly led to more light and understanding that is, at times, overwhelming. So, as I read the first couple sentences of this passage, I thought, "this is about me!" But then... I read on and realized, this passage is about Jesus (I offered my back to those who beat me...)! And then, a profound connection began to unfold... 

Jesus said:

“You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! [John 5.39]

Okay, so I was right to conclude that Isaiah 50.4-6 is about Jesus. 

But Jesus also said:

Again he said, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.” [John 20.21]

IF THEN I am sent like Jesus, then every passage in the Old Testament that points to Jesus, points to me!

Take a moment here to re-group your thoughts... Then I will say it again:  

IF we are sent like Jesus, then every passage in the Old Testament that points to Jesus, points to us!

 And, since Jesus said all the scriptures point to Him, then all the scriptures point to us - they have explicit application to our lives! The Old Testament is as much about us as it is about Jesus. Got a problem with that? Then read your Bible and see. It is true.

Look at it this way, IF Christ is in me, then everything about Christ is about me.

My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. [Galatians 2.20]

My life then is Christ's. We can choke on this all we want to, but it is straight from the Bible. But, lest we become arrogant in our estimation of ourselves being "in Christ" we should consider this passage as well:

You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble  position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross. [Philippians 2.5-8]

The point of Jesus' life was, and remains today (through us), to selflessly exist for others. If this thought 'rains on our parade' then we are not in Christ. It is that simple. I fear that most of the Church as we know it today suffers this condition. But change is coming...

There is a move of God's Spirit happening right now that is pulling back the blanket of ignorance over God's people. God is revealing afresh that nature itself speaks to us on His behalf - the weather, the climate, everything. God is revealing afresh that curses are the same today as they have always been - the result of sin, and as such, signal the need for repentance!

“But there is no peace for the wicked,” says the LORD[Isaiah 48.22]

This is what the LORD says: “Was your mother sent away because I divorced her? Did I sell you as slaves to my creditors? No, you were sold because of your sins. And your mother, too, was taken because of your sins. [Isaiah 50.1]

Although these passages may seem dissimilar,  they really both say the same thing.

Everything that is wrong in life is wrong for one and the same reason: sin. Where there is no peace, there is sin. Where there is brokenness of anxiety (likened to separation from "mother'), there is sin. Where there is the burden of indebtedness, there is sin.

Everywhere we see these bad things - curses, there is sin. And, where there is sin, there is need for repentance. The Bible is clear on how to read and understand our circumstances: where there is blessing, rejoice; where there are curses, repent.

As Jesus humbled Himself and became obedient to the Cross, He called us to the exact same thing:

Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed? If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels. [Luke 9.23-26]

As Jesus humbled Himself and died for the sins of others, so we must selflessly humble ourselves in repentance for others (not to mention for ourselves). I am not sure how the self-centered prosperity and faith message so popular today really fits into this scenario, but, I am sure of this: prosperity and faith are NOT about me, but about how I lay down my life for others! Jesus didn't make enough food that would feed five thousand so He would have plenty! As Joe Biden would say, "Come on, man!" Jesus "did the miracle" so five thousand men and their families could be fed. If we ignore or forget this fact, we have slipped into the pointless human existence of selfishness.

The opening sentence of the subject passage we began with says, "The Sovereign LORD has given me his words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary."

Our lives are about Christ. Christ is about others. He came to bring forgiveness of sins for all who repent.

It was also written that this message would be proclaimed in the authority of his name to all the nations, beginning in Jerusalem: ‘There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent.’ [Luke 24.47]

Father, may our lives be Christ on earth to this world. May our existence be for others and not for ourselves. May we see curses for what they are and repent. May we quit our selfish existence of hell and live the selfless life of Christ unto heaven and Your Kingdom. So help us God. So be it.

No comments: