Thursday, April 11, 2024

Swallow The Pride - Do What Is Right

“As for me, I will certainly not sin against the LORD by ending my prayers for you. And I will continue to teach you what is good and right. [1 Samuel 12.23]

At this point, Samuel had been 'displaced' in a way by Saul becoming king. Samuel's questions prove this:

Then Samuel addressed all Israel: “I have done as you asked and given you a king. Your king is now your leader. I stand here before you—an old, gray-haired man—and my sons serve you. I have served as your leader from the time I was a boy to this very day. Now testify against me in the presence of the LORD and before his anointed one. Whose ox or donkey have I stolen? Have I ever cheated any of you? Have I ever oppressed you? Have I ever taken a bribe and perverted justice? Tell me and I will make right whatever I have done wrong.” “No,” they replied, “you have never cheated or oppressed us, and you have never taken even a single bribe.” “The LORD and his anointed one are my witnesses today,” Samuel declared, “that my hands are clean.” “Yes, he is a witness,” they replied. [1 Samuel 12.1-5]

And yet, Samuel makes the statement in the subject passage above that he will not stop praying for Israel and will continue to teach them what is right and good.

It seems all of us, at some time or another, feel the way Samuel felt. I know I struggle with it even today. Time moves on, new people come in, and the previous ones are displaced. It is a hard thing on a man's pride, but Samuel shows the way to proceed in righteousness: "I will not stop praying for you and I will continue to teach what is good and right."

So, what does one do who feels displaced? Continue to pray and teach what is good and right even if there is no audience.

Father, help me to have the same attitude of Samuel. May I be found faithful to You regardless whether anyone has been faithful to me. May my pride not be an issue - and may it not hinder my commitment to pray and teach as You have given me opportunity. Help me to swallow my pride and do what is right.

No comments: