Translate

Friday, June 16, 2023

It's Just Talk, Right?

Elisha replied, “Listen to this message from the LORD! This is what the LORD says: By this time tomorrow in the markets of Samaria, six quarts of choice flour will cost only one piece of silver, and twelve quarts of barley grain will cost only one piece of silver.” The officer assisting the king said to the man of God, “That couldn’t happen even if the LORD opened the windows of heaven!” But Elisha replied, “You will see it happen with your own eyes, but you won’t be able to eat any of it!” [2 Kings 7.1-2]

It was just a simple conversation. It's just talk, right?

If only we would take God's Word seriously...

The king's officer was speaking from experience and knowledge. I mean, "God doesn't expect us to be silly, does He?" Everyone could see that Samaria was in a desperate situation and that no prophet, just by saying something as incredible as Elisha said, could change that! Well, or so it would seem...

Elisha was speaking for God. It wasn't his first time to do this either. In so doing, Elisha made some pretty unbelievable claims about what to expect the very next day, ...just like so many promises in the Bible have been made to us.

As the story developed, Elisha enjoyed the fruit of what he said. The doubting officer, on the other hand, died.

I can only think of my own life at this moment. I admit, I struggle when I look at God's abundant promises. I want to believe, but I think sometimes I allow my knowledge and experience to tell me, "It just isn't going to happen." According to this story, I guess my experience is only bolstered by my faithlessness, and, no doubt, my faithlessness is bolstered by my experience. 

Like the king's officer, it is a damning frame of mind.

Father, I am confronted today with my doubt and unbelief - my knowledge and experience... Please forgive me for thinking myself so practical and logical. Forgive me for thinking my knowledge and experience mean anything up against Your Word. Help me, I have damned myself just as did the officer of the king of Israel. Help me, please!

No comments: