Translate

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Insanity?

Once more the king sent a third captain with fifty men. But this time the captain went up the hill and fell to his knees before Elijah. He pleaded with him, “O man of God, please spare my life and the lives of these, your fifty servants. See how the fire from heaven came down and destroyed the first two groups. But now please spare my life!” [2 Kings 1.13-14]

If only we could be as wise as the third captain of fifty men sent by king Ahaziah of Israel!

They say insanity is repeating the same process over and over but expecting different results (or something like that). Clearly, this third captain was not insane.

It would do us all well to examine our lives for things we do over and over but insanely expect different results...

It makes me think about going to church, prayer, faith, and the likes... (yes, I am going there)

Do we continue to go through our religious protocols with no identifiable results in our lives?

It might be argued here that patience is a virtue (and, it is), but, as James wrote in the New Testament (James 2.20), should not our faith produce something sometime? (the correct answer is, "yes")

The more I advance in my relationship with God in His Word and prayer, the more I realize how little I look like Jesus. While there is a certain disappointment with this revelation, there is also the humble motivation I need to change. Like the third captain, there is the distinct understanding that I must do something different if I wish to reap different results!

Father, I want my life to show different results... In my prayer, my faith, my actions... I want Jesus to be seen. I want Your power and glory to be evident. I want to please You...

No comments: