Translate

Saturday, August 06, 2022

Up and Down

But the LORD stands beside me like a great warrior. Before him my persecutors will stumble. They cannot defeat me. They will fail and be thoroughly humiliated. Their dishonor will never be forgotten. O LORD of Heaven’s Armies, you test those who are righteous, and you examine the deepest thoughts and secrets. Let me see your vengeance against them, for I have committed my cause to you. Sing to the LORD! Praise the LORD! For though I was poor and needy, he rescued me from my oppressors.

Yet I curse the day I was born! May no one celebrate the day of my birth. I curse the messenger who told my father, “Good news—you have a son!” Let him be destroyed like the cities of old that the LORD overthrew without mercy. Terrify him all day long with battle shouts, because he did not kill me at birth. Oh, that I had died in my mother’s womb, that her body had been my grave! Why was I ever born? My entire life has been filled with trouble, sorrow, and shame. [Jeremiah 20.11-18]

Is it just me, or does Jeremiah reveal some signs of bipolar disorder here? First, he's all "praise the LORD!" then he vocalizes serious regret for being born! Talk about up and down!

Wouldn't we just like to diagnose Jeremiah?

I think Jeremiah speaks clearly to the struggles many believers in God experience. One moment a believer can be victoriously encouraged by God's Word, and then in a short time be doubting the purpose of his or her own existence.

I think nothing more clearly reveals the constant struggle between good and evil, light and darkness, and faith and fear than Jeremiah's transparency noted here today.

Imagine for a moment that if this major prophet of the Bible doubted his purpose for existence how much more we might be disposed to doubt the purpose of our own existence! And yet Jeremiah's prophecy heralded powerful truth and accuracy that has stood the test of time.

If anything, Jeremiah's swing in attitude should give hope to those experiencing "low times" that the "high times" will follow. Likewise, those experiencing "high's" should not be devastated when things may fall to incredible "low's."

The goal (our goal) should be to remain faithful to the LORD whether circumstances are good or bad.

One should never concede that bad times are anything but God's invitation for us to reflect. In every instance, I firmly believe our humble introspect will lead to repentance. While our repentance may be for grossly overt actions of disobedience or for private attitudes of doubt and fear, the necessity for repentance remains the same. God demands our undivided obedience and trust.

The fact that we are human should give us, one and all, fair warning that we will experience both good times and bad times. In fact, our humanity should actually implicate us more for bad than good due to man's fallen nature inherited from Adam and Eve's indiscretion. So, the fact that we are not absolutely obliterated should be reason enough to praise God for His mercy! That said, a humble and contrite spirit will never be turned away by God. In other words (as Jesus clearly articulated): ‘There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent’ (Luke 24.47).

Nothing is further from the character and desire of God than for us to feel trapped in (regret) our existence. So, the proper response in our "low times" is to purposefully find freedom through repentance, humility and faith: 

Repentance frees us from the torment of hidden sin within ourselves (in the mirror).

Humility frees us from the burden of pretense before others.

Faith frees us from the fear of rejection in the presence of God.

So, as we diagnose Jeremiah's mood swing, we find excellent advice for our own tendencies to be up or down!

Father, thank You for the words and example of all the characters of the Bible. Thank You specifically today for Jeremiah. Help me to remain mindful of my need to stay repentant, humble, and faithful in all the circumstances I encounter.

No comments: