Translate

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Push Away From God (Don't)

“But no, my people wouldn’t listen. Israel did not want me around. So I let them follow their own stubborn desires, living according to their own ideas. [Psalm 81.11-12]

All it takes is for us to push away from God for us to experience what life without God is like.

What does it mean to push away from God?

In the last year or so, I spoke with a young man briefly about his marriage. This young man knows what God's opinion about marriage and divorce is, but told me he is getting a divorce anyway. THAT is pushing away from God.

I often speak to people about their time of prayer and Bible reading. Too many times, people say something like this, "I know what God wants, but I just can't do that..." THAT is pushing away from God.

But let me get just a little more personal. Here is what is really being said:

"I know what God's opinion is about obedience and holiness and yet I make allowances from myself anyway." 

THAT is pushing away from God.

Okay, so we've established what it is to push away from God. So, now let's look at the result of pushing away from God.

When we push away from God, He simply steps back and let's us do what we want. It is as if God says, "You want to play with deadly snakes, so I will let you. What happens to you is not My doing, but your own."

Not to be ignored is the wording of Psalm 81.12: So I let them follow their own stubborn desires, living according to their own ideas. 

What are their own stubborn desires? It would appear the answer is in the next phrase: living according to their own ideas.

This makes me immediately think of of something Paul said:

We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ. [2 Corinthians 10.3-5]

Any time we begin to "reason" in our own minds contrary to what the Bible clearly teaches, we effectively "push away" from God. Any time we say, "I know what the Bible says, but..." we have begun to exercise human reasoning. This exercise is the act of rebellious thoughts.

So, what are the weapons of our warfare to combat and capture these rebellious thoughts? I think Paul also offers our best insight into the answer for this question:

A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere. [Ephesians 6.10-18]

Even if a person wishes to argue that armor is not weaponry, that same person cannot deny that a "sword" is, without question, a weapon. It is not ironic then, that the sword mentioned in Paul's description above is unmistakably defined as God's Word.

However, God will not force Himself on people. If we don't want Him around, He will simply step back. And, that is when "all hell breaks loose."

God is often, and quite accurately, described as our "shield" in the Bible. When our shield steps back, then quite literally we are no longer defended from all hell coming against us for the purposes of death, loss, and destruction, ...all because we reason, "I know what God says, but this is what I am going to do anyway."

And then we have the audacity to cry out to God, "What's wrong?"

Father, while it may seem here I have been tough on those who might read this writing, I am really just having a mirror-moment. Forgive me for not only pushing away from You, but making a practice of it. Help me to recognize and reject my own desires so that I might embrace and follow Yours.

No comments: