Saturday, June 08, 2019

Secret Things

That’s the whole story. Here now is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone’s duty. God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad. [Ecclesiastes 12.13-14]

After all the discussion about various things in life, Solomon finally concludes that obeying God is the priority.

However, I want to look a bit further at the last part of the verses above: "including every secret thing, whether good or bad."

Secret things can really be a problem. I know I have been fairly successful in my life of convincing myself that what I think and do in secret is of no consequence. But I have been wrong in this. God is making very clear to me now that those secret things - some so secret that my heart veils them even from me! - have held me captive to otherwise unnecessary suffering and pain.

I am in process of asking God to reveal to me those secret things in my heart. It is a difficult process, but I truly believe it is worth it. Repentance has become my best friend - and certainly the most reliable friend! I am hopeful that repentance will yield the fruit of genuine humility in my life. God knows I have many 'friends' but only repentance will bring out humility in my life. Only repentance will get to those secret things - even the unknown ones, replacing the bad with good.

Father, You are good and faithful. You know my heart - and it is not good. Forgive me for making excuses for myself and the hidden wickedness in me for so long. Give me the enlightenment of Your Spirit to see those hidden bad things, confess them as sin, turn from from them, and be done with them. Give me the power of Your Spirit to then do good, as You are good - even in those secret places of my heart that no one else sees but You.

No comments: