Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Short Hair, Long Hair, Growth

A man dishonors his head if he covers his head while praying or prophesying. But a woman dishonors her head if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head, for this is the same as shaving her head. Yes, if she refuses to wear a head covering, she should cut off all her hair! But since it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, she should wear a covering. [1 Corinthians 11.4-6]

I started off writing this day and "chased a rabbit" deep into a "rabbit hole." I used the delete key repeatedly however and decided to simplify my thoughts.

Paul makes some statements here that we need to consider. God's Word is not up for our approval or judgment. It is what it is. Were these rules about hair the Word of God or something else?

Our burden, as we read about the early development of the Church and the whole Christian movement in general, is to carefully watch how everything that develops stays true or veers away from the original spirit and teachings of Jesus. We see this beginning with the Book of Acts and continuing through the writings of the apostles.

Paul gives us some insight into this realm of uncertainty with the following statement in verse 16 of the same chapter: But if anyone wants to argue about this, I simply say that we have no other custom than this, and neither do God’s other churches.

Christian growth is just that - growth. I think about my grandchildren and realize that the clothes they are wearing now will not fit them in another year. Why? Because they are growing.

So, in our walk with God, we will grow and we will understand the Bible differently in each stage of our growth. Oh, to be sure, the Message is unchanged, but our perception of what the Message means to us changes. Should it not be that way?

Father, I suppose there could be those who accuse me of violating "inerrancy doctrines." But, that's okay by me because my focus is on seeking Your Kingdom first and foremost. In the period of time I have been recording my thoughts about my walk with You there has been change - there has been growth. For that, I am grateful to You! Thank You!


No comments: