Translate

Thursday, July 20, 2017

God Is Good - Punishment Is Real

I will be patient as the LORD punishes me, for I have sinned against him. But after that, he will take up my case and give me justice for all I have suffered from my enemies. The LORD will bring me into the light, and I will see his righteousness. [Micah 7.9]

Punishment is real. God's punishment is no less real. God's punishment is directed toward sin. God's punishment is designed for a specific purpose, to prove that sin has penalty - to prove that the wages of sin is death.

What does the punishment of God look like? Although throughout the Bible we have scattered instances of God's punishment, our best and most complete list of God's punishment is found in Deuteronomy 28 starting in verse 15. In Deuteronomy 28 we find every conceivable curse, disease, disaster, misfortune, miscarriage, accident, and failure imaginable. These are punishment for sin - disobedience.

It is critical that, in the midst of punishment, we understand that our punishment is just that and that it is just because the One Who ordained it is Just. In other words, we should not think for a moment that we are receiving unfair punishment. We should not think for a moment that when our Just God inflicts punishment that we are innocent! Why would we ever be so proud and arrogant? Seriously, we must get this right!

In the previous chapter of Micah (chapter 6) God said, "I... did everything I could to teach you about my faithfulness." Does that sound like a random thing? Especially in light of the context of this statement - God took responsibility for their blessing even in the midst of Balak wanting them cursed. God's faithfulness was attached to His desire to give blessing!

So, here is my takeaway from this: When I am punished, I will accept the fact that I have sinned, I will repent, and I will wait patiently for God's deliverance fully expecting His loving character to bless me abundantly. That IS faith - believing that God IS, and that He rewards those who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11.6).

Father, Help me to get this right. I want to have a right understanding of You and Your Word!

No comments: