Monday, June 20, 2016

A Problem Of Motivation

Jeroboam II recovered the territories of Israel between Lebo-hamath and the Dead Sea, just as the Lord, the God of Israel, had promised through Jonah son of Amittai, the prophet from Gath-hepher. [2 Kings 14.25]

I suppose this is the first reference to Jonah in the Bible and not part of the book of Jonah. It would appear that Jonah was a fairly powerful and validated prophet in his day.

I wonder why Jonah didn't want to go to Ninevah? He had apparently been successful as a prophet up to this time...

This change of plans greatly upset Jonah, and he became very angry. So he complained to the Lord about it: “Didn’t I say before I left home that you would do this, Lord? That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people. Just kill me now, Lord! I’d rather be dead than alive if what I predicted will not happen.” [Jonah 4.1-3]

It seems Jonah had a little pride thing going. He knew God was merciful and would turn from His decision to destroy Ninevah (even though that would not happen unless the prophet declared God's intent for Ninevah). So I guess Jonah figured God could get someone else for the job if the job was going to make the prophet look like his word was not good.

The problem was found in Jonah thinking the word he gave to Ninevah was his word and not God's. All Jonah would have had to do is say, "if you repent God will not destroy you..." But it seems Jonah wanted to see some destruction at his word.

The lesson here is that sometimes we would rather be proved powerful and right instead of simply obeying Yahweh. Jonah's was a problem of motivation.

Father, help me to be intent on presenting You and Your will to the people regardless of whether I feel validated in my own ministry!

No comments: