O Lord, I have come to you for protection; don’t let me be disgraced. Save me, for you do what is right. [Psalm 31.1]
Does God actually care whether I am disgraced or not?
In all of today's OYCB reading, we find that according to David's praise and worship of God, it does seem that God in fact cares about our standing among others!
I find myself struggling with this idea today. I find myself lacking the confidence to make some of the statements David made! I realize this lack of confidence is my own lack of faith and trust in Yahweh (the LORD). My mind tends to compartmentalize these Psalms of David as 'otherworldly' and therefore removed from my existence and circumstances.
My lack of confidence is the result of a lack of knowledge about Who Yahweh really is. I have the facts of God's existence and character plainly put before me here in David's characterization of God, but I believe something else because I am unlearned in God's character compared to David. I am much more well-versed in the ways of the world than the ways of God.
How is my condition remedied? Like David, I must rehearse what I am fortunate enough to see that David rehearsed about God! We have all the Psalms that are rife with descriptions of Who God really is and what He is like! Psalms are songs and songs are meant to be sung - to be rehearsed - to be memorized and repeated - to be relied upon in times of need - to be proclaimed in times of victory!
Amazingly enough, Jesus quoted the Psalms on several occasions.
Father, help me to embrace the Psalms with a renewed zeal. Help me to learn more about Who You Are!
No comments:
Post a Comment