Translate

Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Lord Doesn't See It ...?

Then he said to me, “The sins of the people of Israel and Judah are very, very great.  The entire land is full of murder; the city is filled with injustice.  They are saying, ‘The Lord doesn’t see it!  The Lord has abandoned the land!’   So I will not spare them or have any pity on them.  I will fully repay them for all they have done.” [Ezekiel 9.9-10]

I don't really know how to reconcile this with contemporary doctrine and theology.  If God was so displeased with His people and made such definitive statements regarding the outcome of their rebellion in Ezekiel's day, I struggle to comprehend how New Testament covenant makes everything okay.  I mean, I get that Jesus suffered in man's place - but does that not require an active act of faith on mans' part for that substitution to be valid?  Is not repentance an ingredient in that faith?  Otherwise, could we not conclude that everyone is forgiven and therefore anything goes because everyone is going to heaven!

Father, I need to be enlightened by Your Spirit and Your Word as to what is right or wrong with our modern thinking!  I don't want to presume upon Your grace and mercy.  Are You not seeing the terrible acts of wickedness in the USA and abroad today?  Will You not bring an end to all this unrighteousness?  Are You not infuriated even more by those who presume upon Your grace and mercy rendering the cross of Christ as nothing for which they will be accountable?

No comments: