Translate

Sunday, August 03, 2014

Legacy Righteousness?

But Josiah refused to listen to Neco, to whom God had indeed spoken, and he would not turn back.  Instead, he disguised himself and led his army into battle on the plain of Megiddo.  But the enemy archers hit King Josiah with their arrows and wounded him.  He cried out to his men, “Take me from the battle, for I am badly wounded!” [2 Chronicles 35.22-23]

Josiah died from that wound.  End of Josiah's story.

Here was a guy who had turned a nation back to God, made a foolish decision, and died for it.

If there is a lesson here, perhaps it is that no amount of good we do is sufficient to insulate us from rebellion and its consequences.  There is no legacy righteous that carries us through and protects during times of rebellion.

Father, I want and need to obey You.  I am making no claims that I have been good up until now either.  If only I could have the legacy of Josiah!  I realize how desperately I need Jesus - not just once, but every moment of every day!

No comments: