Monday, October 02, 2006

Never Give Up

I am so encouraged by Paul's letter to the Philippians. Today's reading is especially encouraging in chapter 3 verses 12-14: "I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, Through Christ Jesus, is calling us."

I KNOW I keep blowing it, but, thank God, I'm still in the race!

If only our lives would reflect this toward others. It is so easy to proclaim "grace" over myself for my many indiscretions. But why then do I require so much more perfection of others? On the other hand, why do others require so much more out of me than they do themselves? I suppose the truth is, that only God knows the human heart; whether that heart is truly faithful or rebellious. But we sure THINK we know!

And how appropriate today's Proverbs is: "The godly may trip seven times, but they will get up again. But one disaster is enough to overthrow the wicked." Proverbs 24.16

Conclusion: Like the late Winston Churchill encouraged troops on a dark day of a world at war, "Never give up," I will add to that: "...on yourself OR others!" Never give up on yourself or others.

Help us remain faithful. Help us keep believing. Help us encourage one another. God help us never give up on ourselves, but, more importantly, on others.

No comments: